Non-local Student Guide 2023-24

NON-LOCAL Student Guide A resource for pre-arrival and settling in at HKUST

1 USING THIS GUIDE Welcome to HKUST! This guidebook is a useful resource for helping non-local students with pre-arrival and settling in. The University has a wide range of resources for students, so we suggest that you read this guidebook bearing in mind that this is just one of the many resources available to you. V 22.0

3 2 GETTING TO HKUST • From Hong Kong International Airport 5 • From Hong Kong West Kowloon Station 6 • From Hung Hom Train Station 6 • Public Transportation to/from HKUST 7 MUST-DO ON ARRIVAL • Check if Your Visa Has Been Validated upon Arrival 10 • Check In to the Student Hall 10 • Get Your HKUST Student Card 10 • Class Enrollment 11 • Open a Bank Account 11 • Apply for a Student Octopus Card 11 • Apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card 12 • Register with Your Consulate 12 LIVING IN HONG KONG • Language 14 • Weather 14 • Water 14 • Holidays 15 • Telecommunication 16 • Getting Around 16 • Money Matters 17 • Postal Service 19 • Food on Campus 19 • On Campus Facilities 20 • Student Clubs 21 ACADEMIC LIFE • Academic Integrity 23 • Weather-Dependent Class/Exam Arrangements 24 VISA AND IMMIGRATION-RELATED MATTERS • Student Visa/Entry Permit Extension 26 • Working in Hong Kong During Your Studies 26 • Working in Hong Kong After Graduation 27 • Visa Matters Related to Travel 28 TABLE OF CONTENTS HEALTH CARE AND INSURANCE • Public Hospital Care 30 • On-Campus Clinics 30 • Medical Insurance 31 • Information on Diseases in the Region 31 STAYING WELL • Personal Well Being 34 • Counseling 34 • Special Educational Needs 34 • Alcohol 34 • Smoking 35 • Narcotics 35 • Faith and Religion 35 • Diet-Specific Information 36 • Food Allergies/Intolerance 37 TRAVELING • Tips When Traveling 39 • Lost or Stolen Passports 39 STAYING SAFE • General Safety 41 • Lab Safety 41 • Emergencies 42 • International SOS 42 • Weather Warnings 43 • Terrorism 45 • Sexual Assault/Harassment 45 APPENDIX • HKUST Location Map 48 • HKUST Campus Map 50 • HKUST Academic Building Map 52 • MTR Map 54 • Useful Contacts 56

5 GETTING TO HKUST FROM AIRPORT/TRAIN STATION TO HKUST Below are some options for getting to HKUST when you arrive in Hong Kong at either the Hong Kong International Airport or train stations. From Hong Kong International Airport Transport and Route Estimated Duration Estimated Cost Red Taxi (Hong Kong International Airport to HKUST) 45 minutes HK$320-360 Airport Express (Hong Kong International Airport to Kowloon Station) Red Taxi (Kowloon Station to HKUST) 25 minutes + 30 minutes HK$105 + HK$180-220 Bus A29 (Hong Kong International Airport to Po Lam Public Transport Interchange) Red Taxi (Po Lam to HKUST) 100 minutes + 15 minutes HK$42 + HK$50-65

7 6 FROM HUNG HOM TRAIN STATION. FROM HONG KONG WEST KOWLOON STATION Transport and Route Estimated Duration Estimated Cost Red Taxi (Hung Hom Train Station to HKUST) 30 minutes HK$110-140 MTR (Hung Hom Train Station to Hang Hau Station) Green Taxi (Hang Hau to HKUST) 40 minutes + 10 minutes HK$13 + HK$40-50 Transport and Route Estimated Duration Estimated Cost Red Taxi (Hong Kong West Kowloon Station to HKUST) 30 minutes HK$120-150 MTR (Hong Kong West Kowloon Station to Hang Hau Station) Green Taxi (Hang Hau to HKUST) 50 minutes + 10 minutes HK$17 + HK$40-50 PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION TO/FROM HKUST The MTR (subway) stops that are closest to HKUST are Choi Hung, Diamond Hill, Hang Hau and Po Lam where you will find places to eat and shop. And from there, you can get to anywhere in Hong Kong. Area Around Where to Eat and Shop HKUST Stops Transport South Hang Hau MTR Station East Point City TKO Gateway (with local market) Hang Hau: North Gate HKUST: North/ South Gate KMB Bus 91M Green Minibus 11, 11M or 11S* Po Lam MTR Station Metro City Po Lam: North Gate HKUST: South Gate (except for Green Minibus 12) KMB Bus 91M Green Minibus 12 or 11S* Tseung Kwan O MTR Station PopCorn North Gate NWFB Bus 792M Tiu Keng Leng MTR Station Metro Town North Gate NWFB Bus 792M West Choi Hung MTR Station Ngau Chi Wan Market (local market) Diamond Hill: South Gate HKUST: North Gate KMB Bus 91 or 91M Green Minibus 11 or 11S* Diamond Hill MTR Station Plaza Hollywood Diamond Hill: South Gate HKUST: North Gate KMB Bus 91 or 91M Ngau Tau Kok/Kwun Tong MTR Station apm South Gate Green Minibus 104 GETTING TO HKUST

8 MUST-DO ON ARRIVAL Area Around Where to Eat and Shop HKUST Stops Transport North Sai Kung Town Center Local shops Seafood Street North Gate NWFB Bus 792M Green Minibus 12 or 1S* * overnight service You may check the service time using the websites below: MTR Website KMB Website NWFB Website GETTING TO HKUST

11 10 CHECK IF YOUR VISA HAS BEEN VALIDATED UPON ARRIVAL On your arrival at the Hong Kong immigration check-point, you will be issued a landing slip which bears your name, travel document number, arrival date, conditions and limit of stay in Hong Kong. The landing slip should say “Student-permitted to remain until DDMMYYYY” and the name of the Hong Kong university you will be enrolled in (i.e. The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology). Without this landing slip, your entry permit is not activated and you will not be permitted to register at HKUST. When you arrive at the immigration counter or checkpoints, please present your passport/travel document with the page where the student visa label is affixed, together with the HKUST admission offer letter. Do not expect the Immigration Officer to look for the label. If they do not see it, they may enter you into Hong Kong as a visitor/tourist. CHECK IN TO THE STUDENT HALL Upon arrival at HKUST, head directly to your assigned hall for check-in. Please pay attention to the specified date and time stated on your hall offer. Generally speaking, the hall offices are open 24 hours for check-in except Jockey Club Hall or otherwise specified. Bedding and hygiene items, such as toothpaste, toothbrushes, bath towels, are not provided in student halls. You can bring your own or purchase them when you arrive in Hong Kong. GET YOUR HKUST STUDENT CARD You will be notified of the details to complete the registration online in advance. Then follow the instructions provided to obtain your HKUST Student Identity Card upon arrival. MUST-DO ON ARRIVAL CLASS ENROLLMENT HKUST school will get in touch with you to provide you with details on class enrollment. You can review the program requirements and the course selection at the links below: HKUST Program Catalog HKUST Course Catalog OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT If you will be studying in Hong Kong for longer than a term, it is useful for you to open a bank account. To open a bank account, you need to submit an application in person. Please note that it may sometimes take over a month for the banks to process your application. If you will be under 18 years of age at the time of opening the bank account, banking rules in Hong Kong may require that you have one of your parents with you to sign the related documents. In general, the following documents are required for opening a bank account: • Passport/Travel document and the landing slip • HKUST Student Identity Card • Proof of Hong Kong Residential Address (such as confirmation letter issued by the on-campus student hall, showing the hall address) • Permanent Address Proof APPLY FOR A STUDENT OCTOPUS CARD Degree-seeking full-time students and year-long exchange students, under the age of 26, are eligible for the MTR Student Travel Scheme. Exchange students in Hong Kong for one term only are not eligible. A Student Octopus Card would allow you to enjoy concession fares of up to 50% off normal fares.

12 The general application is outlined below: • Submit an online application through MTR Website. • In the online application, you are required to upload your photo and your HKUST Student Identity Card. • You are required to pay for the application fee. The new octopus card will be mailed to the mailing address you provided in the application. HKUST Dean of Students’ Office Website APPLY FOR A HONG KONG IDENTITY CARD If you will be staying in Hong Kong for more than 180 days, you are required by law to apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID) within 30 days of arrival. If you are 18 or above, you should apply for an adult HKID. If you are under 18, you should first apply for a Juvenile HKID and convert to the adult HKID upon turning 18. Hong Kong law requires that you carry your HKID with you at all times. To apply for the HKID, you must go in person to the Registration of Persons Office at the Hong Kong Immigration Department. The HKID for new arrivals is issued free of charge. Bring your passport, identity documents and the HKUST admission letter to support your application. Hong Kong Immigration Department Website 24-hour Appointment Booking Hotline +852 2598 0888 REGISTER WITH YOUR CONSULATE You are advised to contact the consulate or embassy of your home country in Hong Kong, and enquire about possible citizen registration services. Some consulates and embassies maintain mailing lists or social media accounts for keeping their citizens updated on matters that concern them. Consular Posts and Recognized Bodies LIVING IN HONG KONG MUST-DO ON ARRIVAL

15 14 LIVING IN HONG KONG LANGUAGE Locals speak mainly Cantonese while English and Mandarin are widely spoken. All official signs, most commercial materials and menus are bilingual, while public transport announcements are in Cantonese, English and Mandarin. English is the language of instruction at HKUST, and you can expect to encounter minimal problems communicating in English on campus. Nonetheless, it is worthwhile to learn some Cantonese upon arrival or ideally in advance before traveling to Hong Kong if you really want to understand and live in the culture, interact with the locals and to get the most out while you are here. WEATHER Hong Kong is situated in a subtropical monsoon climate, and extreme weather conditions can occur in Hong Kong during the spring and summer months. These include tropical cyclones (known as typhoons in Asia) and severe rain/thunderstorms. Typhoons are categorized into five levels, with 10 being the most severe. Rainstorms are categorized by color, with Black being the most severe. Please refer to the section “Staying Safe” for more information on weather warnings and safety guidelines during severe weather conditions. WATER The water supply in Hong Kong is amongst the safest in the world. But as the quality and maintenance of water pipes varies from building to building, it is suggested that you consume boiled or bottled water. Drinking Water Quality in Hong Kong water/water/drinkingwater.htm HOLIDAYS Hong Kong has 17 general holidays a year. Most shops and restaurants, major attractions, theme parks and public transport will operate as usual on most of these days, but banks and offices will be closed. For the Lunar New Year, commercial outlets will usually be closed for a couple of days and some traditional or family-run businesses may stay closed for up to 2 weeks. Public Holidays Dates The First day of January January 1 Lunar New Year holiday First three days of the lunar year usually around late January to mid-February Easter holiday Four days from a Friday in March/ April Ching Ming Festival April 5 (sometimes April 4) Labour Day May 1 The Birthday of the Buddha One day in May Tuen Ng Festival One day in June HKSAR Establishment Day July 1 The day following the Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival One day in September/October National Day October 1 Chung Yeung Festival One day in October Christmas holiday December 25-26

17 16 TELECOMMUNICATION Mobile Phone You can purchase a prepaid SIM card or a Discover Hong Kong Tourist SIM card which offers free local calls, free WiFi, bundles of mobile data, as well as affordable international calls and SMS messages. Before purchasing one, you should check carefully the validity of the prepaid cards as it varies from days to months. They are available at the airport as well as at major convenience stores. Once settled, you may consider subscribing to a monthly plan offered by a local mobile phone network provider to enjoy reasonable rates. Discover Hong Kong Tourist SIM Card Choice of Service Providers telecommunications_services_providers/index.html WiFi WiFi are widely available in Hong Kong. Usually, you will be able to access free wifi in Hong Kong International Airports, major tourist attractions, MTR stations, parks and gardens, sports venues, museums, shopping malls and restaurants. Wi-FI.HK App App store: Google play: wifihk&hl=en GETTING AROUND Public Transportation System Hong Kong’s public transportation system is considered to be world-class in terms of its management and efficiency. Once you are oriented, getting around by public transportation is relatively easy. As a general rule, the Mass Transit Railway (MTR) is always a safe bet for traveling efficiently. This is especially so during peak hours when roadways can become congested. LIVING IN HONG KONG Taxi Service Taxis running in the city are red in color, while those in the New Territories are green and those on Lantau Island are blue. Red taxis can travel anywhere (except South Lantau Island), while the green and blue taxis can operate only within their respective areas. All taxis are metered, and you should refer to the meter for the exact charge. Taxi fare information is listed on the inside of the taxi, or available from the Hong Kong Transport Department’s website. Charges in addition to the meter charge may include a tunnel toll if the journey passes through paid tunnels and there will be a luggage fee of HK$6 per piece. Passengers are required by law to wear a seatbelt, when available, whether sitting in the front or rear. Foreign currencies, credit cards or Octopus cards are not normally accepted. Tipping is not necessary except for rounding to the nearest dollar. All taxis can travel to and from the Hong Kong International Airport. If you encounter any problems with the taxi service, such as possible overcharging, take down the taxi driver’s name and license plate number as shown on the Taxi Driver Identity Sign on the cab’s dashboard to lodge your complaint. MONEY MATTERS Banking Most international banks have branches in Hong Kong. On campus, there are two banks: Hang Seng Bank and Bank of China. Electronic Payment ATMs are widespread in Hong Kong. Most terminals are linked to international money systems, including Cirrus, Maestro, Plus, Visa Electron, UnionPay, as well as the Visa and MasterCard credit systems. However, you should note that there are two ATM systems in Hong Kong: one is linked to the Bank of China and its partners, and the other is used by HSBC and other international banks. You may be charged a fee if you use an ATM machine operating on a system not linked to your bank.

19 18 Credit Cards and digital wallets Credit cards are generally accepted in chain stores, shopping malls and most of the restaurants in Hong Kong. Most major banks offer credit cards to students. Payment methods via digital wallets including Apple Pay, Alipay, WeChat Pay, PayMe, are also widely accepted. Some of the canteens in HKUST do not accept credit cards. Octopus Card The Octopus card is a convenient, electronic-stored value card that can be used on most forms of public transport as well as in convenience stores and restaurants. Card values can be topped up at subway station, convenience stores, supermarkets and many other places. On campus, you can top up at the cashiers in the supermarket and convenience stores, and most of the eateries. Money Exchange We recommend that you do not carry large amounts of cash. Instead, carry a mixture of cash, bank drafts, checks or travelers’ checks in order to safeguard your finances when entering Hong Kong. Currency The basic unit of currency is the Hong Kong dollar which is pegged at approximately HKD7.80 to USD1.00, and consequent rates of exchange to other currencies. The Hong Kong dollar is divided into 100 cents and notes in denominations of $10, $20, $50, $100, $500 and $1,000 are issued by HSBC, the Bank of China and Standard Chartered Bank. The government also issues $10 notes. Please be aware that there are different designs for notes of the same denomination. Hong Kong Monetary Authority Website hong-kong-currency/notes/ LIVING IN HONG KONG POSTAL SERVICE The Hong Kong Post provides a fast and reliable local and international global service. For courier service, in addition to the Hong Kong Post, international services including FedEx, UPS, DHL, and SF Express are also available in Hong Kong. On campus, post boxes are located outside the lobby of Lift 31/32 on 2/F and the driveway outside LT-F and LT-L. Mailing service is available at Room 2615 (Lifts 31-32). FOOD ON CAMPUS There are many eateries on and around campus. They are a great place to catch up with your friends as well as fill your stomachs. Canteens The student canteens located in Lower Ground Levels 1 and 7 and at the Business School Building are the largest canteens on campus. The canteens mainly serve Chinese dishes, with some noodles, pastas and sandwiches. There is also a McDonald’s on campus. Passion Serves salads, pizzas, pastas, pastries and other Western, hot entrees. Pacific Coffee Serves breakfast including muffins and different types of pastries, as well as lunch/dinner including paninis and packed salads. They also serve a variety of gourmet coffee. Starbucks HKUST students can enjoy 30% discount by presenting HKUST Student Identity Card. Subway Sandwiches prepared on a variety of freshly baked breads, with your choice of cold cuts or Veggie Delite. UC Bistro & Bar The University Center Bistro serves a Western menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The adjacent Uni-Bar is the bar on campus.

21 20 UniQue A stylish restaurant with panoramic sea views and a sensational bar. The well-varied menu offers something for everyone, with options that includes international dishes and local favorites, health-conscious meals, and vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free items. Ebeenezer’s (Halal-certified) Ebeneezer’s Kebab & Pizzeria is a well-known eatery in Hong Kong that specializes in a variety of kebabs, Indian curries, biryanis and pizzas. Chinese Restaurant What would an authentic Hong Kong experience be without dim sum and the many-course Cantonese dinner?! The Chinese Restaurant, located right on campus, offers a complete Chinese menu. You can order dim sum for lunch, and Chinese dishes for dinner. Seafront Cafeteria “Seafront” is a cafeteria located at Hall VI serving Chinese soup noodles, rice dishes, and desserts. It is the only caterer on campus that opens until after midnight. Campus Supermarket You can get your daily necessities from the campus supermarket. Those wishing to opt for simple breakfasts can get your milk, cereals and breads from here. ON CAMPUS FACILITIES Library and learning commons HKUST’s five-story library is centrally located on campus and open seven days a week. In addition to book, periodical, microfilm collections and media materials, the library has extensive electronic collections including electronic databases and full-text e-journals. Students are also welcome to make use of our learning commons. They are student-centered spaces to promote intellectual exchanges, sharing of creative ideas and total learning experience. LIVING IN HONG KONG Sports and Recreation The campus offers a great range of sports and recreational facilities, all free to registered students, including: • Indoor sports complex • Sports Field and artificial soccer pitch • Water Sports Center • Swimming pools (Indoor & Outdoor) • Fitness Center • Tennis courts • Squash courts • Climbing wall • BBQ pits by the sea • Multi-purpose rooms suitable for different activities like table-tennis, aerobic dance, fencing, martial arts and indoor archery • Music room, Piano rooms and Band room • Creativity Room • Reflection Room (for prayer, reflection or meditation) STUDENT CLUBS Not to say you shouldn’t work hard at your studies, but we want you to enjoy your time off too. This comes down to time management. HKUST students run more than 120 clubs here, from Chinese orchestra, Shaolin martial arts and dragon boat rowing to archery, debating, and film. Add to these many are student societies affiliated to academic departments and student residential halls. And, we want to tell you that you are most welcome to found your new clubs here. No matter what special interests you have, there are always students who share your interests or who will want to learn from you.

23 ACADEMIC LIFE ACADEMIC INTEGRITY Fundamental to academic integrity is the presentation of your work as your own, the acknowledgment of others’ work, and the accurate reporting of results obtained. It is your responsibility to act truthfully and honestly in your academic pursuit, and to acquaint yourself with the University’s policies on academic integrity and discipline. You will be subject to disciplinary action should you be found to be in violation of these policies. HKUST Academic Registry Office Website Plagiarism is one of the most serious academic offenses. If you present work that originates from other sources without adequate referencing, for credit in a course, a program of study, or for fulfillment of degree requirements, you are committing plagiarism. This pertains to academic work in any form, including theses, examinations, tests, term papers and assignments. Cheating and other acts of academic dishonesty are also serious offenses.

24 WEATHER-DEPENDENT CLASS/EXAM ARRANGEMENTS Final examination schedules are posted on the Academic Registry (ARO) website. Please consult the website for up-to-date information concerning exam arrangements in the event of severe weather. Below are the general guidelines in the case of bad weather. You should take these as a guideline, and confirm the arrangements when the situation arises. If the Typhoon Signal No. 8 and/or Black Rainstorm Warning Signal are… All Classes and Exams… Hoisted within 2 hours of the scheduled starting time of classes or exams Will be canceled Lowered at or before 6:30am Starting at or after 8:30am will be held as scheduled Lowered at or before 12:00 noon Starting at or after 2:00pm will be held as scheduled Lowered at or before 4:00pm Starting at or after 6:00pm will be held as scheduled Still in effect at 4:00pm In the evening will be canceled If an examination is canceled due to the Black Rainstorm Warning or the Typhoon Warning Signal No. 8 or above, arrangements will be made for that examination to be held as soon as practicable after the scheduled examination period. HKUST Academic Registry Website ACADEMIC LIFE VISA AND IMMIGRATION- RELATED MATTERS

27 26 STUDENT VISA/ENTRY PERMIT EXTENSION In general, a student visa will be granted with a validity that is in line with your program duration. However, if your travel document will expire in one year’s time from the day you enter Hong Kong, then the limit of stay granted will only be one year. You will need to apply for a student visa extension later on. You should apply for an extension of stay four weeks before your limit of stay expires. The limit of stay will be extended in line with the remaining duration of your study program, subject to: • A maximum period of six years upon entry as a student under the same study program in the same institution • The validity of your travel document To apply for visa extension, you need to first obtain a testimonial from the HKUST Academic Registry (ARO). With this supporting document, you may apply at the Hong Kong Immigration Department. Hong Kong Immigration Department Website WORKING IN HONG KONG DURING YOUR STUDIES For non-local degree-seeking students, the Hong Kong Immigration Department allows you to engage in the following types of employment: • Part-time on-campus employment offered by the University and designated on-campus operators for not more than 20 hours per week throughout the year • Summer job from June 1 to August 31 (both dates inclusive) • Students who wish to take up study-related internship should seek prior endorsement from Department/School and apply for a separate NoObjection Letter from Hong Kong Immigration Department if they have not been issued with a valid one. HKUST Career Center VISA AND IMMIGRATION-RELATED MATTERS WORKING IN HONG KONG AFTER GRADUATION The Hong Kong Immigration Department introduced a scheme called Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG) to encourage non-local graduates to stay and work as professionals in Hong Kong. Under IANG, non-local graduates may apply to stay (or return) and work in Hong Kong after their graduation. Non-local fresh graduates Non-local graduates who apply for IANG within six months after the date of graduation (i.e. the date of graduation shown on the Letter of Certification or Graduation Certificate) are classified as fresh graduates. Fresh graduates may apply to stay and work in Hong Kong without having secured an offer of employment upon application. IANG applicants who meet the normal immigration requirements may be granted a 12-month stay with no conditions. Returning non-local graduates For graduates who apply for IANG beyond six months after the date of graduation (i.e. the date of graduation shown on the Letter of Certification or Graduation Certificate), they will be classified as returning non-local graduates. Returning non-local graduates who wish to work in Hong Kong must have secured an offer of employment when they apply for IANG. An application will be considered favorably if the job is at a level usually occupied by degree holders and the pay package is set at market level. Details on Hong Kong Immigration Department Website

28 HEALTH CARE AND INSURANCE VISA AND IMMIGRATION-RELATED MATTERS VISA MATTERS RELATED TO TRAVEL International Students Traveling to Mainland China The student visa issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department does not entitle you to enter Mainland China. To enter Mainland China, you must apply for a Chinese Tourist Visa from China Visa Application Service Center or through any China Travel Service (Hong Kong) Ltd. Branch. China Visa Application Service Center China Travel Service Ltd Mainland Chinese Students Traveling Overseas Mainland Chinese students who wish to travel overseas should ensure they have a valid passport. The passport application should be made to the Public Security Bureau of your province/city or at the Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the PRC in the HKSAR. The Entry Permit issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department allows for entry to Hong Kong only, and is not a travel document for traveling overseas. Taiwanese Students Re-Entering Hong Kong Taiwanese students will be issued a single-journey entry permit to take up studies in Hong Kong. After entering Hong Kong on the single entry permit, you may apply for a “Multiple Entry Permit” (MEP) at the Hong Kong Immigration Department and transfer of endorsement onto the MEP to facilitate your future travels to and from Hong Kong.

31 30 PUBLIC HOSPITAL CARE As a student entering Hong Kong on a valid student visa, you are entitled to local rates at public hospitals. The present rate is HK$180 per attendance for accident and emergency treatment, HK$75 admission fee and HK$120 per day for general ward. These are subject to change. You must bring your passport containing your valid student visa to be eligible for these rates. Otherwise, you will be subject to the visitors’ hospitalization rates. ON-CAMPUS CLINICS Medical Clinic All registered HKUST students are entitled to use the primary health care service available at the Medical Clinic. This facility provides a free outpatient service to full-time students. However, it is not equipped to handle emergency situations and is only open during normal office hours. Appointments are not required for non-emergency medical services at the Medical Clinic. In addition, specialist services in Allergy, Dermatology, Ear, Nose and Throat, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ophthalmology, Respiratory Medicine, Surgery and Physiotherapy are also available, but subject to a fee. Reference from a general practitioner and prior appointments are required for specialist services. Dental Clinic The Dental Clinic on campus offers consultations for HK$70 per 20 minutes and an oral examination fee of HK$10. Prior appointments are required and should be made in person. Remember to bring your HKUST Student Identity Card when visiting the Medical or Dental Clinic. HEALTH CARE AND INSURANCE MEDICAL INSURANCE Non-local degree-seeking students are required to join the University’s Compulsory Medical insurance Scheme. Coverage includes hospital & surgical benefits, outpatient benefits and extended accidental medical expenses. It is also advisable to have additional medical insurance based on individual needs. Insurance Coverage on Scholarship and Financial Aids Office Website INFORMATION ON DISEASES IN THE REGION Human Swine Influenza Human swine influenza, otherwise known as H1N1, can spread through coughing and sneezing. Symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, muscle pain and headache, and in some, diarrhea. As vaccines for human seasonal flu do not provide protection against H1N1 viruses, and they may be fatal, please seek medical advice if you suspect you may have contracted it. Avian Influenza Avian Flu (H5N1) is a strain of influenza previously known to infect birds only, but human cases were documented in Hong Kong in 1997 and 2003. It is likely to result in high fever, chest infection, respiratory distress, multiple organ failure and, in some cases, death. The virus is believed to be transmitted from infected live birds to humans. The best protection is to stay away from live poultry. Dengue Fever This viral disease transmitted by the Aedes mosquito is found in many Southeast Asian countries. The fever is mild and victims recover within several days. However, multiple infections by different strains of the virus can lead to a more severe infection that can be fatal. The best protection against dengue fever is to prevent the spread of mosquitoes and their bites.

32 Cholera Cholera is caused by a group of bacteria commonly found in unclean water. Transmission of the disease occurs mainly through contaminated food, especially seafood. The infection is more prevalent during the summer months. Ensure that all food is cooked thoroughly before consumption, and only drink boiled or bottled water. Influenza The “flu season” in Hong Kong usually occurs from January to March and from July to August. Most people recover completely in one to two weeks. The influenza vaccination can help reduce medical complications and death especially amongst the elderly and patients with chronic cardiac or respiratory diseases. Vaccinations should be applied yearly due to the emergence of new viral strains. Please consult your physician if this is required. Tips for preventing the spread of disease: • Strengthen your immune system by maintaining a healthy physical and mental state. • Observe good personal, food and environmental hygiene. • When participating in outdoor activities, cover your body and use insect repellent as necessary to prevent mosquito bites. • Wash your hands frequently with soap. Use hand sanitizers where water is not available. • Cook pork, poultry and eggs thoroughly before consumption. • Remove stagnant water from your living environment. • Cover your nose and mouth with tissue when sneezing and coughing. If you are exhibiting symptoms of respiratory infection, wear a mask. • If you are running a fever, wear a mask and consult your doctor immediately. • If you fall ill after returning home from abroad, report your travel history to your doctor. STAYING WELL HEALTH CARE AND INSURANCE

35 34 PERSONAL WELL BEING Your first few weeks in Hong Kong may be hectic. During the term, manage your time and finances wisely to avoid unnecessary stress and distress. Take some time to explore Hong Kong, experience the culture, and keep in touch with your family back home. You should also participate in student activities, and discover new interests to make the best of your time in Hong Kong. COUNSELING You are encouraged to consult professional counselors, who are available on campus, should you experience any of the following: • Emotional instability, depression or anxiety • Interpersonal tension or conflict • Maladjustment to university or campus life • Unsatisfactory academic performance • Alcohol and/or drug abuse • Eating disorders HKUST Counseling and Wellness Center Room 5003, Academic Building (via Lift 3) Email: Tel: 2358-6696 SPECIAL EDUCATIONAL NEEDS For students who have special educational needs and wish to seek support, you are advised to contact our SEN Support Team. SEN Support, HKUST Counseling and Wellness Center ALCOHOL The legal drinking age in Hong Kong is 18. Premises serving alcohol may perform ID checks. In such cases, you will have to provide a governmentissued identity card stating clearly your date of birth, such as your passport or HKID. STAYING WELL SMOKING HKUST is a non-smoking campus. Smoking is hazardous to your health. Hong Kong law prohibits smoking in most enclosed areas, including restaurants, karaoke boxes, malls and some bars, as well as in most public outdoor areas, including public beaches, swimming pools, transport interchanges, escalators and university campuses. Any person who smokes or carries a lighted tobacco product in a statutory non-smoking area will be fined up to HK$1,500. NARCOTICS Hong Kong laws regarding the enforcement and penalties for narcotics may be different from that of other countries. You should pay attention to these. In Hong Kong, the following are considered offenses and are liable for conviction: • Trafficking a dangerous drug (includes selling or distributing a drug) • Manufacturing a dangerous drug • In possession of, or smoking, inhaling, ingesting or injecting a dangerous drug • In possession of any pipe, equipment or apparatus fit and intended for smoking, inhaling, ingesting or injecting a dangerous drug • Cultivating any plant of the genus cannabis or opium poppy Anti-drug Information, Narcotics Division, Security Bureau FAITH AND RELIGION Religious freedom is protected under Hong Kong’s Basic Law. While many of Hong Kong’s locals adhere to traditional Chinese faiths such as Buddhism and Taoism, there are numerous other religions in the territory that contribute to its cultural diversity. These include Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Judaism, amongst many others.

37 36 DIET-SPECIFIC INFORMATION Being able to adhere to diet-specific preferences or needs is an important part of staying physically and mentally well when you are living in a new environment. While it may take some time for you to adjust to what is available for your dietary needs in Hong Kong, it is possible as long as you give it a little effort and are open to a little bit of compromise. Halal-certified food Halal certification is granted through the Incorporated Trustees of the Islamic Community Fund of Hong Kong. List of the certified restaurants published by the Hong Kong Tourism Board: STAYING WELL The below places of worship are the closest locations to HKUST for the respective faiths: Faith Place of Worship Website Buddhism Chi Lin Nunnery Catholicism St. Vincent’s Church Christianity Clearwater Bay International Baptist Church Hinduism Happy Valley Hindu Temple http://www. Islam Kowloon Mosque (Masjid) and Islamic Centre Judaism Ohel Leah Synagogue Taoism, Buddhism and Confucianism Wong Tai Sin Temple Kosher The Va’ad Hakashrut of Hong Kong (VHHK) supervises the strict kashrut of the Jewish Community Center, including the restaurant and the Koshermart. Jewish Community Centre, Hong Kong FOOD ALLERGIES/INTOLERANCE The best way to avoid an allergic reaction to a certain food is to avoid it. Ask the food provider about the ingredients used to make the dish, review the ingredient labels on packaged foods, or eat only what you prepare yourself. If your food allergies or intolerance can lead to life-threatening symptoms, we advise you to be vigilant when eating out, as the possibilities of cross contamination in food preparation facilities can sometimes be unavoidable. In addition, you should be aware that different countries have different food labeling laws, which may require products to list only the major items or not require them to list any ingredients at all. When traveling to a place where you are unfamiliar with the local language, you should carry a card with you that describes your food allergy/ intolerance and its resultant symptoms. This card should be in the local language, so that it can be shown to eateries to clearly communicate the details and severity of your allergy/intolerance.

39 TRAVELING TIPS WHEN TRAVELING • Always inform your family and someone in Hong Kong prior to departure. Remember to give them a copy of your contact information if available. • Check for travel or health warnings issued for your destination. Get proper immunization if necessary. • Ensure that you have all the travel documents, visas and entry permits required for entry to your destination before departure. • Purchase travel insurance for the entire duration of your trip. • Store your money, travel documents and other valuables in a safe place. • Make photocopies of travel documents and keep them separately when you travel. • If possible, check the contact details of your country’s consulate/embassy as well as the local emergency number at your travel destination. LOST OR STOLEN PASSPORTS Should your passport or travel document be lost or stolen in Hong Kong, follow the procedures below: • Immediately file a report of the stolen document to the Hong Kong Police Force online and keep a print out of this on hand. • Inform your consulate in Hong Kong and apply for a new passport. If your consulate is not situated in Hong Kong, you will have to contact the nearest consulate overseas and liaise with them. Remember, you will not be allowed to leave Hong Kong without your travel documents. • Obtain a testimonial from the HKUST Academic Registry as proof of your student status at HKUST. • Bring your new passport, the testimonial issued by HKUST and the lost report provided by the Hong Kong Police Force to the Extension Section at The Hong Kong Immigration Department to apply for a transfer of the endorsement of your student visa to your new passport.

41 STAYING SAFE GENERAL SAFETY Hong Kong enjoys a low crime rate compared to other major cities and is generally considered to be a very safe place. Nevertheless, you should remain vigilant, exercise caution and follow common sense in looking after yourself and your personal belongings. LAB SAFETY All students taking courses that require the use of laboratory facilities and machinery must abide by strict laboratory safety guidelines. Many accidents that occur here are preventable. Remember to observe safety rules and exercise care under all circumstances. The Health, Safety and Environment Office (HSEO) operates a safety training module catered to individual departments. You will learn more about your safety training requirements through your departments. HKUST Health, Safety and Environment Office (HSEO) All information on personal and environmental safety is disseminated through the HSEO. HKUST Safety and Environmental Policies and Procedures

43 42 EMERGENCIES When you travel, please take the Emergency Contact Card with you. This is available from the HKUST Office of Global Learning. In case of an emergency, call the 24-hour emergency hotline: On Campus: Security Control Center on Campus Ext. 8999 or Direct Line: 2358 8999 Off Campus: Police/Fire/Ambulance: 999 When calling for help, always provide the following information: • Location of the accident/incident • The nature or severity of the accident (e.g. number of injured persons, seriousness of injuries, extent of property damage, gas leakages, etc.) • Your name and current location INTERNATIONAL SOS HKUST partners with International SOS, the leading travel health and safety assistance provider. Whether you are in Hong Kong or traveling abroad, International SOS provides HKUST students with a 24/7 resource on call, online and even on the ground to help with medical, security and logistical questions, concerns and situations that may arise. So if you need pre-travel advice, a medical referral, lose your medication, or experience a medical or security crisis, please call International SOS for assistance. We also advise that you download the ISOS Assistance App. The app will give you instant and real-time access to country-specific medical and security alerts wherever you are. Hong Kong Assistance Center: (+852) 2528 9900 HKUST membership number: 07AYCA093635 id465662561 iSOSAndroid&hl=en&gl=US STAYING SAFE WEATHER WARNINGS Thunderstorm Warning, Typhoon Signals and Rainstorm Warnings When the Thunderstorm Warning, Typhoon Signal No.8 and/or Black Rainstorm Warning is hoisted, you should take necessary precautions as follows: • Stay indoors wherever you are and do not leave the building until the signal is lowered and it is safe to do so. • Stay away from large windows, structures and objects that are vulnerable to strong wind. • Do not swim or engage in any water sport activities. Leave the water and seek shelter. • Do not touch aerials, water pipes, wire fences and similar metal installations. • Do not handle inflammable materials in open containers. • Do not stand on hilltops or near any highly conductive object. Keep away from trees or masts that are likely to be struck by lightning. • You should listen to radio and TV broadcasts for weather updates Landslip Warning About three to four hundred landslides are reported each year, mostly in the rainy summer season. Occasionally, severe landslides can cause casualties, damage properties and block roads. Landslip warnings will be issued (by the Hong Kong Observatory in consultation with the Geotechnical Engineering Office) based on the latest weather information. When the Landslip Warning is issued, local radio and television stations are notified and are requested to broadcast the warning to the public at regular intervals, together with advice on precautions that should be taken. When the Landslip Warning is in force, you should stay in a safe shelter. Avoid walking or standing close to steep slopes and retaining walls. If you receive a notice to evacuate because of landslide danger, or if you believe that your home is endangered by an unstable slope or retaining wall, or overhanging boulders, you should make immediate arrangements to move to a safe shelter. Hong Kong Observatory Website

45 44 Symbol Warning Standby Signal No. 1 Strong Wind Signal No. 3 No. 8 Northwest Gale or Storm Signal No. 8 Southwest Gale or Storm Signal No. 8 Northeast Gale or Storm Signal No. 8 Southeast Gale or Storm Signal Increasing Gale or Storm Signal No. 9 Hurricane Signal No. 10 Amber Rainstorm Warning Signal Red Rainstorm Warning Signal Black Rainstorm Warning Signal Symbol Warning Strong Monsoon Signal Thunderstorm Warning Landslip Warning Special Announcement on Flooding in the Northern New Territories Frost Warning Yellow Fire Danger Warning Red Fire Danger Warning Cold Weather Warning Very Hot Weather Warning Tsunami Warning Thunderstorm TERRORISM The overall risk of a terrorist attack is considered low in Hong Kong. The guidelines below should be followed in case of any suspected or confirmed terrorist attack: • If you find something suspicious after opening a parcel or letter, do not panic. Put the parcel down and cover the item with minimal disturbance. Thoroughly wash your hands or body parts that might have been exposed with warm water and soap, and remove potentially contaminated clothing if necessary. Then call the Security Control Center on ext. 8999 or on the direct line 2358 8999. If you are outside the campus, call the police on 999. • If you learn about a suspected or confirmed attack in the same building you are in, evacuate in an orderly manner and follow the instructions of security or law enforcement personnel. • If there is a suspected or confirmed attack in the vicinity, stay indoors and pay attention to public announcements through TV or radio. SEXUAL ASSAULT/HARASSMENT What is Sexual Assault? Sexual assault refers to unwanted attention of a sexual nature on another person, including kissing, touching, molestation and rape. Sexual assault, whether on or off campus, is a criminal offence, and you should report the offence to the police immediately. Here are some tips to reduce the risk of sexual assault: • Communicate clearly your limits concerning any aspects of sexual behavior, including touching, kissing and sexual intercourse. You should reject any sexual behavior or advances that you are not comfortable with. • When traveling outside of Hong Kong, consider going with someone you trust. • Avoid excessive intake of alcohol and/or drugs, or substances that may impair judgment. Watch your drinks at all times; drugging can be a problem anywhere. What is Sexual Harassment? Unwanted sexual advances, requests for sexual favors and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature constitute sexual harassment when: STAYING SAFE

47 46 • Any aspect of your educational experience is made conditional on submission to such conduct, either explicitly or implicitly, or • Educational decisions affecting you are based on rejection of such conduct, or • Such conduct has the purpose or effect of: - Unreasonably interfering with an individual’s work performance or educational experience, or - Creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive working or learning environment. Sexual harassment is prohibited under the University policy. University faculty, staff or students are liable to disciplinary actions if found guilty of sexual harassment. What can you do about Sexual Harassment? • Maintain a record of the events, behavior and witnesses as well as your reactions and feelings about any incidents that occurred. Many people confronted with unwanted sexual behavior experience a range of feelings from self doubt and self blame to depression and anger. • Report the behavior and seek an advocate such as your supervisor, a student counselor or Residence Master, or any other supervisory personnel with whom you feel comfortable with who may provide advice and support to you, and act as an informal mediator between you and the offender. • Report the behavior to the Gender Equity Officer (GEO), and follow the University Complaint Procedure from then on. What is the University Complaint Procedure? • Attempts to resolve problems or conflicts should be sought informally. However, if these informal means fail to resolve a situation, or if you feel that only a formal complaint can provide relief, you may do so under the University Complaint Procedure. • File a formal complaint with the GEO. The GEO will investigate the complaint, establish merits and initiate the mediation process by recommending a settlement with the intent to provide a remedy for the complaint. • If either party is not satisfied with the results from these steps, the GEO will initiate a formal hearing into the complaint. HKUST University Policy on Sexual Harassment APPENDIX STAYING SAFE

49 48 To Tuen Mun 往屯門 坑口Hang Hau Tsing Yi 青衣 牛頭角 Ngau Tau Kok 龍翔道 Lung Cheung Rd 太子道東 Prince Edward Rd East 荔景 Lai King 美孚Mei Foo 南昌 Nam Cheong 太子 Prince Edward 何文田 香港 Hong Kong 海洋公園 黃竹坑 海怡半島 利東 南港島綫 金鐘 Admiralty Ocean Park Wong Chuk Hang South Horizons Lei Tung 中環Central Kennedy Town 北角 North Point Quarry Bay鰂魚涌 鑽石山 Diamond Hill 彩虹 鯉魚門道 Lei Yue Mun Rd 將軍澳隧道 Tseung Kwan O Tunnel Lam Tin 藍田 油塘 Yau Tong 寶順路 Po Shun Rd 調景嶺 Tiu Keng Leng 影業路 Ying Yip Rd 九龍塘 Kowloon Tong 大圍 Tai Wai 往羅湖 To Lo Wu 九龍 Kowloon 正門 Main Entrance 寶琳Po Lam 港島 Hong Kong Island Ho Man Tin Hong Kong International Airport 香港國 際機場 赤鱲角 Chek Lap Kok Tung Chung 東涌 Lantau Island 大嶼山 Bus Routes Green Minibus Routes 巴士路線 綠色專線小巴路線 提供往科大巴士或綠色專線小巴服務的港鐵車站 鑽石山 彩虹 牛頭角 將軍澳 坑口 寳琳 Diamond Hill Choi Hung Ngau Tau Kok Tseung Kwan O Hang Hau Po Lam 91, 91M, 91P 91, 91M, 91P 11, 11S 104 792M 91M 91M 11, 11M, 11S 11S, 12 : : : : : : Airport Express Tsuen Wan Line Kwun Tong Line Tseung Kwan O Line Island Line Tung Chung Line South Island Line 機場快綫 荃灣綫 觀塘綫 將軍澳綫 港島綫 東涌綫 Disneyland Resort Line East Rail Line Tuen Ma Line 迪士尼綫 東鐵綫 屯馬綫 Interchange MTR Station 轉車站 港鐵車站 港鐵路綫 Mass Transit Railway (MTR) routes MTR Stations with bus or green minibus service to HKUST N 調景嶺 Tiu Keng Leng 792M : 堅尼地城 旺Mongkok 角 九龍 Kowloon Clear Water Bay Road 清水灣道 Choi Hung 康城 Lohas Park Tseung Kwan O 將軍澳 油麻地 Yau Ma Tei 香港西九龍 Hong Kong West Kowloon High Speed Line 高速鐵路 Hung Hom 紅磡 新界 New Territories 尖沙咀 Tsim Sha Tsui HKUST LOCATION MAP